Having problems? See if your question is part of our commonly asked questions.
For any questions not covered in this section, feel free to message us on Intercom from within your account or email us.
- Writing - I am confused about the botscript I am writing.
- Platforms - I'm having trouble deploying to a platform!
- General - I have questions about pricing, custom development, feedback for your platform.
My bot isn't responding with the correct response that I've written for a specific trigger.
- Double-check that you are in the expected topic by looking at the header above the phone tester.
- If you are in the correct topic, make sure that there aren't any other triggers that match the user input better than the expected trigger.
- Verify that there are no other triggers that match the user input with a higher weight, either in the given topic or in the "default" topic. (Remember, if the bot can't find a matching trigger in the current topic, they will look for one in the "default" topic.)
I keep getting an error message in the phone tester.
- Make sure that each trigger has an associated response. ≈* Look in our Errors section for meanings associated with common error messages.
My deployed bot does not reflect the bot script I've written.
- Have you published all topics? If any of your topics remain unpublished, they will have a icon next to them.
My shortcode isn't working as expected.
- Is the shortcode name spelled right? Double-check our docs for the accurate usage of each shortcode.
- Make sure that none of your parameters include parentheses. This will break.
- Make sure that you have included an opening and closing parenthesis for the shortcode in question.
How do I add emojis to my bot script?
The bot editor should be able to handle any emojis in a response or usage of an emoji in a trigger. Just add emojis in, like you would to a normal word processor. 👍
Platform-specific shortcode issues
My gif from media.giphy is not coming through on Twilio.
Known Issue (May 2017): Using gif urls from http://media.giphy.com in the
^image() shortcode are currently not supported on Twilio. Please consider using the direct link from http://i.giphy.com or upload the gif onto another site if you need Twilio support for image messages with these gifs.
My media files are not coming through on Twilio.
Twilio restricts the total message size must be under 5MB. They also recommend keeping content size for each piece of media under 500KB. You can confirm if your message has succeeded or failed in sending by visiting the Message Log of your phone number on the console for your Twilio account on the Twilio website.
My bot doesn't respond when I type in a button number.
- Since there is no concept of "buttons" on SMS messaging as there is on Facebook or Slack, Dexter renders each button in a ^buttons shortcode ALL CAPS preceded with a number, like so
 VANILLAon SMS and in the phone tester.
- The inclusion of the numbers allow your user to respond quickly to the buttons by typing the associated numerical shortcut. That means, if the user types
vanilla, the bot should respond the same way.
- If you want this behavior to occur on the Dexter side, you will need to handle for this scenario by drafting your botscript like the example for SMS in the ^buttons() page here.
Deploying to Platforms
My bot responds to me, but is not responding to other users after it was successfully deployed on Facebook.
For certain platforms, like Facebook, you may need to undergo an app review process before your bot is available to the public. If you want to allow additional people to message your bot before your app is approved by Facebook, you can add these users as testers.
Learn more about the Facebook app approval process in our Facebook platforms guide.
Platform-specific deployment troubleshooting
- For Facebook-specific troubleshooting, see the Facebook page.
- For Slack-specific troubleshooting, see the Slack page.
- For Twilio-specific troubleshooting, see the Twilio page.
I've deployed, how do I message my bot?
- On Facebook, find your Facebook page and message the bot at
https://m.me/YOUR_BOTS_PAGE_ID. (Of course, replace the actual ID value with
- For SMS, message the number you purchased on Twilio.
- For Slack, go to the team that you authenticated the Slack on. You can send a private DM to the Slack bot handle (
@slack_bot_username) you assigned the bot in the Slack app, or you can invite the Slack bot to a channel or conversation and message it by preceding each message with
- For Twitter, find the Message button on your Twitter page.
How do I deactivate my bot on [xyz] platform?
There's two ways of doing this:
- Tap the Undeploy button for the relevant platform.
- Simply untoggle the platform on the right-hand side of the Platforms page. (Note: this will erase the existing credentials.)
Does your platform support [xxx] language?
Our bots are currently only localized to support English, but we have seen users build bots in Romance languages with success (e.g. Spanish, French, German). There is partial support for some Rivescript concepts for logographic writing systems (i.e. Chinese hanzi, Japanese kana or kanji, Korean hangul etc.) or right-to-left alphabets (i.e. Hebrew, Arabic).
How can I (a human) respond instead of the bot?
Read more about our Command Center product or the ^bypass() shortcode on the Advanced: Human Intervention page.
How do I delete a bot?
On the Advanced tab in the bot in question, there is a
DELETE BOT option in the sidebar. If you type DELETE to confirm, this will permanently delete all of your bot's content, including all Topics, Broadcasts, Platform settings. You cannot undo this!
What happens to my bot when I reach the pricing limits for my tier?
The bot will not stop responding at first, but you will be notified that you need to upgrade. You can cancel and downgrade at anytime!
What will happen to my existing apps from Dexter v1.0?
Thanks for sticking with Dexter from the beginning. Although we no longer provide active support for those features, they will still work if you are already using them. Please keep in mind, these apps will be eventually phased out. Find your existing apps in the dropdown menu of the top menu bar, under "My Legacy Apps".
I am launching my business / product / service using a Dexter bot, how can I ensure quality service levels? Who can I contact about custom features I would need built for my bot?
If you're looking to launch a new venture with Dexter, we want to help your team succeed however we can. Whether you're anticipating a surge in users prior to a press release or you're curious about custom features to support your customers better, we're here to help!
Send us an email about your business/project and any way in which we can be of use.
I am a creative agency/consultancy/development shop that is looking to build custom bots for my clients with your platform.
Dexter Labs, the internal business solutions arm at Dexter, offers creative consultation, custom bot development, and high-touch management during activation for brands, businesses, and creative agencies. Let us know how we can help you craft an engaging chatbot campaign.
If you are a consultancy or development shop that would like to build on top of Dexter, email us to join the community of developers who are building on top of Dexter and get exclusive access to features in beta before they are released to the public.
I have feedback or ideas for your platform.
We love hearing from you! Email us with your feedback, ideas, or concerns.